Service Structure Paid Internships for Engineers Approved.
Report by: Sarmad Shahbaz & Jayaa Jaggi
On Thursday 9th November 2017, the most awaited mega-event Engineers Convention 2017 was held at the Jinnah Convention Center, Islamabad. This tremendous convention was organized by the Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) for the Young and professional Engineers. More than 1500 young and eminent engineers from across the country attended the convention.
Interior Minister Engr. Ahsan Iqbal, who also looks after the affairs of the ministry of interior and planning, reforms & development also addressed at the occasion and said that stability and continuity of policies were imperative for the development of the country.
Engr Jawed Salim Qureshi, Chairman PEC, in his welcome address, raised the long awaited demands of engineers including service structure, paid internships and appointment of engineers as heads of engineering organizations.
On this account, the Prime Minister Mr. Abbasi has approved following demands which were first raised by Engr Jawed Salim Qureshi – Chairman PEC and were also seconded by Engr. Ghulam Dastagir, Federal Minister for Defence and Engr. Ahsan Iqbal, Minister for Interior and PR&D.
- 20,000 paid internships for young engineers.
- Service Structure demand accepted
- Filling of vacant positions in various government departments on a priority
- Actions will be taken to make Engineers Heads in the engineering departments.
- Opportunities will be created in a government department to associate a trainee engineers with permanent positions of Engineers. After completion of training, PEC will also explore overseas employment opportunities for these engineers. PEC HR committee will develop a database on its website. Through this portal access to overseas HR and companies will be provided to market our Engineers.
The event was deemed as super effective which recorded a good response by the engineers and students. The medals were distributed by the Prime Minister at the end of the convention amongst the officials from PEC and the eminent engineers. Children from the Roots School presented national anthem and national songs. Engr. Fakhir Mahmood and Hamid Ali Khan also sung national songs during the event. This was yet another historic milestone achieved by the PEC. Let’s hope that this convention would be a turning point for the jobless engineers in Pakistan.