Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh, who is also currently holding the charge of Vice Chairman-Sindh, Pakistan Engineering Council, was born in 1959 in a historical and fertile town of Sindh…Larkana. He is not unknown to any engineer of Pakistan. In other words, one can say that history of engineering community of Pakistan cannot be completed without his name.
Engr. Mukhtar got his initial education from his hometown (Larkana) and did his graduation in Electronics Engineering from Dawood College of Engineering & Technology (DCET), Karachi in 1982 that is now known as Dawood University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi. He was very active since his early age. He held the position of Joint Secretary of Students’ Association of Govt. College, Larkana and Social Secretary of DCET (Dawood College of Engineering & Technology), Karachi during his student life. Students coming from other parts of country specially Baluchistan and interior Sindh to seek engineering education at Karachi were not much aware of city life. This was Engr. Mukhtar who helped them at every stage and enable them to cope up with problems of daily life.
The life of Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh is full of achievements. He started his career from Pakistan Customs and still serving there at a very notable position. He was not behind to anyone at his work place and remained unopposed President of Customs Officers Association of Pakistan for consecutive seven times. He did his best job for the welfare of the officers and employees of Pakistan Customs for that he is always regarded.
He has been the youngest ever elected member of the Governing Body of PEX at the age of just 34
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh had remained Member of the Governing Body of Pakistan Engineering Council for three times. He has been the youngest ever elected member of the Governing Body of Pakistan Engineering Council when he was just 34 and he still holds this record. He has also been the Vice Chairman for Sindh Province to Pakistan Engineering Council two times (2012 to 2015) & (2015 to Present). During his first tenure; he did marvelous jobs for the Engineering Community of Pakistan under the leadership of Engr. Syed Abdul Qadir Shah (Chairman of PEC at that time) that are listed below:
- Arrangement of two international job fairs; one at Karachi and other at Peshawar in 2013 are really one of his great achievements, when hundreds of international firms and companies came to Pakistan and hired Pakistani Engineers.
- Publication of magazine for Engineers by Pakistan Engineering Council for the first time ever in the history of Pakistan Engineering Council while he was the Chief Editor.
- He was the Convener of Public Relation Committee of Pakistan Engineering Council and during his tenure following were achieved:
- Exclusive discounts for Engineers for the first time ever in the history of PEC by different hospitals, diagnostic centers and laboratories, hotels and restaurants, stores etc.
- Life time subscription of Professional Engineers was reduced from Rs 5,000/- to Rs. 2000/- then later to Rs. 1,000/-.
- For the first time, Registered Engineer was also allowed to get benefit of life time subscription for Rs. 1,000/- only.
Engineers are the Pride of Our Nation
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh is the man of principles. He is of opinion that “Engineers are the Pride of Our Nation”. Despite of bitter opposition by current Chairman of PEC, he stands firm and continues to serve the Engineering Community. He opposed him at every stage for his unfair decisions that could affect and harm the standard and nobility of Engineers of Pakistan. He has a great concern for unemployment of engineers of Pakistan. It was because of his true efforts and continuous support that Prime Minister’s Youth Training Program for Engineers could become possible.
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh is also the Member of Syndicate as well Senate of Dawood University of Engineering &Technology, Karachi and Member of Board of Directors of Usman Institute of Technology (UIT), Karachi. He has great love and affection for his mother institute Dawood University of Engineering &Technology, Karachi) and he has played a vital role in the development and progress of this University.
1984 – Present Deputy Collector, Pakistan Customs
2012 – 2015 Vice Chairman (Sindh), Pakistan Engineering Council
2012 – 2015 Convenor PR Committee, Pakistan Engineering Council
2013 – Present Member of Board of Directors of Usman Institute of Technology (UIT),
2015 – Present Vice Chairman (Sindh), Pakistan Engineering Council
2015 – Present Member of Syndicate of Dawood University of Engineering &Technology,
2015 – Present Member of Senate of Dawood University of Engineering &Technology, Karachi
2017 – Present Member of Services, General Administration & Coordination Department, Government of Sindh
2017 – Present Member of Master Plan Department, Sindh Building Control Authority
- Youngest ever elected member of the Governing Body of Pakistan Engineering Council at the age of 34 years.
- Elected as Member, Governing Body of Pakistan Engineering Council for three times
- Unopposed President of Customs Officers Association of Pakistan for consecutive seven times
- Social Secretary of DCET (Dawood College of Engineering & Technology), Karachi.