Prime Minister of Pakistan Mr. Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, who himself is an Electrical Engineer, while speaking here at the Engineers Convention said that engineers were main to evolution and improvement of the country. He stated that
“It is a mere coincidence that several ministers including that of the interior, defense, planning, and education, and others who were at the helm of affairs were engineers.”
The chief guests at the event praised the PEC for organizing such a wonderful event which would help the young engineers to focus on becoming the bright future of the country.
The Prime Minister also asked PEC to boost up the education system. He asked the PEC to strictly endeavor for calibration and augmentation of the curriculum, quality of education which needs to be improved and the appointment of good managers at the helm of affairs; as the heads of engineering, organizations needs good administrators.
Prime Minister also added that “The infrastructure including power plants and road projects have been completed keeping in view the future requirements of the country.”
He stated that “Pakistani engineers did most of the work in making Pakistan a nuclear power and they were capable of performing in other sectors as well.”
He pointed out that the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) also envisages road, energy, port and airport projects besides economic zones. He said,
“We want the PEC to play a lead role in the projects by ensuring excellence”.
The premier said world’s leading financial institutions were now appreciating the strides made by the country on the economic front.
Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal, who also looks after the affairs of the ministry for planning, said that stability and continuity of policies were imperative for the development of the country.
On this account, the Prime Minister Mr. Abbasi has approved following demands which were first raised by Engr Jawed Salim Qureshi – Chairman PEC and were recognized by Engr. Ghulam Dastagir – Defense Minster & Engr. Ahsan Iqbal – Interior Minister.
- 20,000 paid internships for young engineers.
- Service structure demand accepted
- Filling of vacant positions in various government departments on a priority
- Actions will be taken to make engineers heads in engineering departments.
- Opportunities will be created in a government department to associate a trainee engineers with permanent positions of Engineers. After completion of training, PEC will explore overseas employment opportunities for these engineers. PEC HR committee will develop a database on its website. Through this portal access to overseas HR, companies will be provided to market our Engineers.
The event was super effective which recorded a good response by the guests and students. The medals were distributed by the Prime Minister at the end of the convention amongst the officials from PEC. This was yet another historic milestone achieved by the PEC, which no man in Pakistan could achieve in 70 years. Let’s hope that this convention would be a turning point for the jobless engineers in Pakistan.